POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Proximity Pattern and 3.5 : Re: Proximity Pattern and 3.5 Server Time
3 Jul 2024 02:33:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Proximity Pattern and 3.5
Date: 8 Feb 2002 04:25:28
Message: <ng576ucr2tsiu0u9cqoqlqgcgmehvoklnb@4ax.com>
On Thu, 07 Feb 2002 19:46:29 +0100, Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>
wrote:
> Interesing,

Thanks

> but it looks more like a blur pattern to me, the proximity
> pattern uses intersection tests IIRC.

Yes, it uses intersection tests. But this intersection test returns distance.
Pattern showed averaged distance for defined number of tests. That's exactly
what my macro does. Here is example of MEGAPOV demo:
http://users.skynet.be/smellenbergh/demopictures/proxistarb.jpg. It's little
grainy but with larger number of samples it could look exactly like blur.

Things to add to my macro to support functionality of proximity pattern

1) additional select() to perform tests only inside/outside object
2) additional calculations to perform tests in direction of bounding box

Both looks easy to add.

ABX